My Blog Mission Statement

My purpose for blogging is to blend my faith and my disability and every other part of my life together. I know GOD touches every aspect of my life. My prayer is that my blog inspires others to trust in GOD and maybe look at things in a different way. I believe part of my life's mission; along with being a wife and mother, and a resident at the nursing home; is to do whatever else GOD tells me to do.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

MEMORIES OF TWO LIVES CUT SHORT


His name was Tony Bay.  He went  to Alabama State University, where I was studding to get my master degree in Social Work.  He was studying to b a engineer and was in ROTC.    His roommate, Ryan Fogle , was a different story.
Ryan was a freshmen who wanted to study business.  His big sister, Caryn was one of my closet friend.  We went to church together.   
It all started at a weekend retreat.  Caryn was the organizer of the retreat and I was one of the group leader.  My co-leader was Will Angler.  I was excited.   I loved being able to share my faith and testimony with others.    Caryn put Ryan in our group.  I don't think he even wanted to be there, but I think he came out of duty to his sister.  
The retreat started out great.  All the leaders share their testimonies, there are small group discussion, games and great fellowship.  I was really impressed of how open Ryan was to share and how knowledgeable he was of the bible.  I must admit at the time, I was not in my bible as I am not should have been.  The church I attended did not put a great emphasis on it.  
The retreat was Friday through Sunday.  It was held in a high school gym.  While we did sleep there, there was a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon when we could go home, take a shower, grap a nap, ect.  
I had a prior commitment the kept me from going back to the retreat at the same time everyone else.  When I got there at ten o'clock that night, I was surprised that Ryan hadn't came back.  Caryn said all he had said to her was he wasn't coming back; with no explanation.
The rest of the weekend was great.  But come Monday, it was back to classes and work.  I had meant to call and check on the members of my group, but I had to work over time, two test to study for and a paper to write.  It's no excuse, I just didn't make time for it.he
The next weekend I went home for the weekend.  When I got back to campus, the was a buzz that a student had stabbed his roommate to death because he was transgender and  the roommate had walked on him and his partner.  He slayed him right there, with the partner watching.  
I didn't find out until later in the week that  Ryan was the one who had killed  his roommate.  When I heard, my heart sunk.  To this day,  I go over and over the retreat, thinking what happen?  Did I miss something?   If he would have came back from the break, could it had made a difference?  
  I tried to talk to Caryn, but her phone kept going to voice mail.  After a few weeks, her phone had been cut off.  The last I heard, she'd transferred to a small college in Texas.  I've tried to find her with no luck.
The funeral was private, but the school had a memorial service about three weeks after the funeral.  For some reason I felt obligated to go.  I sat in the back of the auditorium.  Tears flowed down my face as I listen to Ton's family and friends tell about his life and how he had planned on being an advocate for homosexual solders in the arm forces.  Tony and his partner had planed on getting married  after they graduated.
It's been twenty years since Ryan killed is Tony.  He was convicted of first degree murdered and is serving a life sentence at Alabama State Maximum Security Prison.  I pray him and Caryn and their family, just as I pray for for Tony's  family.  My prayer is that one day they will all find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental Health ~ Sleepy

  Before I go any further, I owe my Mama a HUGE apology  for all those times I wouldn't let her sleep!!! I love to sleep; like I could s...