My Blog Mission Statement

My purpose for blogging is to blend my faith and my disability and every other part of my life together. I know GOD touches every aspect of my life. My prayer is that my blog inspires others to trust in GOD and maybe look at things in a different way. I believe part of my life's mission; along with being a wife and mother, and a resident at the nursing home; is to do whatever else GOD tells me to do.

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Christianity and Mental Health - Part 2


Image result for  mental health


There are many different theories and beliefs on mental health; in fact there are probably as many different opinions on mental health as they are types of mental illnesses themselves. Mental health has been around as long as life itself.  (I dare say Cain probably suffered severe when God abandoned him to the wilderness because he killed his bother).  Elijah (1 Kings 19:4), David (Psalms) and Job ( he has his own book) all suffered depression.
  
When we see that some of our biblical heroes, and even some of the biblical villains we love to hate like Saul and Nebuchadnezzar,  suffered with mental health issues.    It eases my mind some to know I'm in great company/
  
Solomon tells us in  Ecclesiastes 1:9`

History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under thsun is truly new.




Many Christians, however, project a negative image onto Christians who admit that they struggle with their mental health.  Many people are made to feel like they don't believe in God, they don't have enough faith or they are made to feel like the struggle with mental health a sin.  Some Christians are made to feel like ashamed if they admit they have mental health because there are afraid of the backlash.  I've seen people being brow bested by well intended Christians who think that if the person would just "get religion" the will be healed. 

I can remember times when I was growing up and some people would see my physical disability and would say; "Bless your heart, I'll pray for you."  Now, don't get me wrong, MY God is a HEALING God, but if I don't get healed is doesn't my faith isn't strong enough or that I'm being punished for  something.  In fact , in my case at least, I think God allowed me to be physically disabled and someone who struggles with mental health, to give Him glory  and to show what a life can look like even though it may look to be damaged by others.

My ultimate prayer is  that the church and Christians  gain understanding of people who are struggling with their mental issue it is hard to understand; because it is so personal.  Unless you're the one struggling with mental health, or you're EXTREMELY close to the person who struggling with their mental health, you can't get it.  For me, at least, I can not describe my struggles with my mental health.  Their are no words, even though it makes total sense to me at the time.  When I try to express it out loud , it sounds just as illogical to me as it does to others.  But logic and mental health don't always go together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental Health ~ Sleepy

  Before I go any further, I owe my Mama a HUGE apology  for all those times I wouldn't let her sleep!!! I love to sleep; like I could s...