My Blog Mission Statement

My purpose for blogging is to blend my faith and my disability and every other part of my life together. I know GOD touches every aspect of my life. My prayer is that my blog inspires others to trust in GOD and maybe look at things in a different way. I believe part of my life's mission; along with being a wife and mother, and a resident at the nursing home; is to do whatever else GOD tells me to do.

Thursday, December 8, 2022

One Word: Holiday



Photo by PNGKEY


 The word holiday comes from Old English where the word originally referred to special religious days.  Morden uses of the word vary geographically.  In  North America, it means any dedicated day or period of celebration.

Definition on Goggle

The controversy over saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" has been going on for years.

This debate has never made sense to me.

It is a greeting of good wishes; why not say 'thank you' or nothing at all?

I don't think anyone has ever corrected me, but I have heard people talking about how people have been told not to wish them "Merry Christmas" because they don't believe in and/or don't celebrate Christmas.

Bah Humbug!

The word "holiday" is a compound word. "Holy" and "Day".

Holy means:

Especially recognized or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated

and

Dedicated or devoted to the service of God,  church or religion.

So, if "holy" means devoted to the service of GOD, wouldn't the true definition of "holiday" means "a day devoted to GOD"?

So, it seems to mean that saying "Happy Holidays" is in a sense referring the same as, if not more than saying "Merry Christmas".

So, whether you say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas", I pray that you and yours enjoy each other during this most sacred time of year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mental Health ~ Sleepy

  Before I go any further, I owe my Mama a HUGE apology  for all those times I wouldn't let her sleep!!! I love to sleep; like I could s...